Bit of a Mystery -- Part 1

Back in May I took this photo of a building I couldn't identify.  Quite sizeable, it sits perched on the south east hillside corner of Edinburgh and Bethune.

I always approached it from the east, which shows a walkout basement made of stone.


It reminded me of nineteenth century French country houses, but it reminded me even more of 1860s era schools.  The 1875 Romaine map shows an empty lot, one of two lots owned by James Donnell that comprised the east side of Bethune Street from Dublin to Edinburgh.  I wondered if it was some special private school.  I couldn't find any reference to such a place on Edinburgh, but kept it on the back burner in case I came across something.

Mystery solved in Part 2...please read on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Carriage Estate

Brick Works

A Cautionary Tale