Ashburnham - Part 2

Bellevue (1866)

Rev. Mark Burnham built this house for his second son John.  Originally Bellevue was quite similar to Engleburn, although more Canadian in style.  The house has been much altered over the years.  One most interesting feature is a guillotine door between two parlour rooms that could be raised and lowered as needed, disappearing between two walls on the second floor.

Dr. George Burnham Cottage (1867)

This Regency style cottage was the home and office of Dr. George Burnham, Rev. Mark Burnham's third son.  He occupied the house for about five years before moving to more spacious accommodation on Brock Street in Peterborough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Y

Mansard Mansions on Brock Street