This Second Empire, seven unit terrace was built in 1884 by Peterborough business magnate George A. Cox, who also built the Morrow Building.
A conservation triumph, Cox Terrace survived a plan by its owner in the in late 1980s to turn it into a parking lot. The building was saved by PACAC (Peterborough’s local heritage movement, founded in the mid 1970s), and City Council, which voted 10 to 1 in favour of heritage designation.
Allen McGrath purchased the building in 1989, and remodelled it into apartments, office, and retail space.
Cox Terrace may well be the finest example of a residential, multi unit, Second Empire style building in North America.