The Water Street, south wing of The Commerce Building, one of two additions built by George A. Cox, circa 1890. Carriageways Peterborough has the most Victorian carriageways I’ve ever seen in one place. They are seen downtown in commercial buildings and former hotels. Originally built to give private access to courtyards and/or horse stables, they led to a place to keep the horse and carriage off the street. Today, all of them are still in use, giving access to private parking. The vehicles have changed, but the function remains the same. 215 Hunter Street West, carriageway of a former hotel built by Cornelius Halpin, circa 1880 Simcoe Street west of George, The CPR Hotel, circa 1888, built by Thomas Bradburn. The name and ownership has changed many times. Simcoe Street east of George. The string course has interesting decorations at both ends, shaped like birdhouses. Charl...
Popular posts from this blog
Ashburnham
Ashburnham, also known as East City, was a separate village across the river until it was incorporated as part of the City of Peterborough in 1905. Engleburn (1853) The Hon. Zacheus Burnham was appointed the official surveyor of the area on behalf of the British government. Burnham was paid in a large amount of land instead of cash. Peterborough and Ashburnham were surveyed by his son-in-law, Richard Birdsall. Zacheus owned much of what became the Village of Ashburnham. Zacheus' only son, Rev. Mark Burnham, built his home Engleburn on a vast compound of land bordering the Otonabee River in Asburnham. The house is white brick in the English Palladium style. The mansion was much larger in the Burnham's time with a huge library wing. Unfortunately, this was demolished in 1903 by a later owner. Ingram House (1854) Absalom Ingram came to Peterborough with the Mark Burnham family and served as steward of the estate. Rev. Burnh...
Ashburnham - Part 2
Bellevue (1866) Rev. Mark Burnham built this house for his second son John. Originally Bellevue was quite similar to Engleburn, although more Canadian in style. The house has been much altered over the years. One most interesting feature is a guillotine door between two parlour rooms that could be raised and lowered as needed, disappearing between two walls on the second floor. Dr. George Burnham Cottage (1867) This Regency style cottage was the home and office of Dr. George Burnham, Rev. Mark Burnham's third son. He occupied the house for about five years before moving to more spacious accommodation on Brock Street in Peterborough.
Comments
Post a Comment